Tuesday, September 2, 2008



Yesterday was the LAST DAY OF SUMMER vacation. I seriously blinked, and those long, sunny, lazy days at the pool, driving the kids back and forth to camp and genuine giddiness of not having to be anywhere at any particular time- were gone.

I wanted that last day to last forever. We went to the state fair for the whole day. We rode overpriced rides, ate really greasy food, touched a Llama, saw a cow getting milked, stepped in some poo, ran into some good friends there and had a great day. Before I knew it, it was already 8pm... dang it! So, we all piled onto the ferris wheel, the kind where you sit in a big, round gondola and watched the sparkling lights and thinning crowd as we went around too few times on a ride that seemed so short... not unlike our summer. On the way out, kettle corn and cotton candy to sustain us on the ride home.

Sooo, if my kids have circles under their eyes today and nod off in class- I suppose I am to blame. But here I am after dropping everbody off, feeling very old and missing my kids and looking at the crumpled, half eaten bags of kettle corn and cotton candy on the table, wanting to rush back to the schools to collect them because- look!... we weren't done yet!

1 comment:

LiteralDan said...

The circles are worth more than whatever would have taken their place.

And since you mention it, where in god's name did the summer go??