Thursday, October 2, 2008

Peanut, peanut butter and Jelly!


Ever have one of those days? Ever know it is going to be one of those days within 5 minutes of getting out of bed? Erm… me neither (cough)…

Last week, alarm clock goes off, sleepy mom hits the snooze… again, and again and again. Oops, one too many “agains“. Holy crap on a crouton, the kids have to be at school in 20 minutes!!! Ordinarily, the kids eat breakfast at school, but since we were running so late, they needed to scarf something down at home and since I was overdue for a trip to the grocery store, once the big kids ate the last of the cereal- the only thing left for Logan was one single piece of bread for toast.

In between hounding the kids to tie their shoes and find their library books, I anxiously watched for the toast to pop up. “Why is it taking so fricking long? “ I muttered, so I decide that it is plenty toasty thank you very much and lift up on the lever to manually pop it up. Apparently, I used too much force because, wheeee, the toast flew up, out of the slot with a graceful arc and slid perfectly down the ½ inch gap between the fridge and the counter where it can neither be seen, nor retrieved.

So, being the problem solver that I am, she had peanut butter and jelly on a hot dog bun for breakfast. PB&J dog’s for breakfast? Kid tested, mother approved! You may now commence with my nominations for Mother of the Year… or the anonymous calls to child protective services… whichever.

7 comments:

DeeMarie said...

"Holy crap on a crouton"... my new favorite phrase!!

I'll eat PB&J on anything, so I guarantee I'll try it at some point! :)

LiteralDan said...

Hey, I call that creative-- I do the same thing all the time. High five!

And I want that little PBJ doll thing in the picture, but I don't know why

TAFTY5 said...

Don't worry.....
We have had cheese and crackers for breakfast before!
At least you feed them!:0)

Ditto...
"Holy Crap On A Crouton!!" is my new favorite phrase too! How can I work it in to conversation today???!!

steenky bee said...

I agree with the dancing cookie in comment #1. You know I stopped by earlier and read this post, then one if the kids started the carpet on fire and I got distracted. I think I thought I already commented! What was I thinking? Also, as long as we're being honest, the carpet really wasn't on fire, but the screams coming from the boy's bedroom would lead you to believe it was.

How clever are you with the hotdog bun rebound? You're so on your toes. Just think of it this way, when Logan grows older and has kids of his own and they complain about THEIR breakfast, he can tell them that when he was a child he ate pb&j on a hotdog bun and he LIKED IT.

Maybe in addition to your clever "holy crap on a croûton" quip, you could work up a "hot dang on a hotdog bun". It's not as catchy, but it definitely is something to consider.

Skunkfeathers said...

PB'nJ on a hotdog bun? I am so gonna have to try that 'un ;)

Anonymous said...

You did better than I could have....I never have hot dog buns in the house. Crackers or croutons, either. Not because they are high in starch and carbs, just because I suck at grocery shopping.
My kids have been known to eat whatever baked goods are in the house, for breakfast. But hey, they're teens, they're already broken. ;)

Anonymous said...

Ooh, the mythical PB&J dog. I have heard tale of them, but never suspected they really exist.

:)

Came over from Captain Dumbass.