Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Vintage Trey



When Trey was about 4, we had just passed a local landmark which is a 2 story rabbit, dressed in what looks like a Maytag repairman uniform. He is the mascot for Harvey's Marine. At Halloween, he holds a giant pumpkin in his hands, a tree at Christmas etc.

Anyway, I point it out to the kids, "Look, it's Harvey the rabbit!" "Why would a marine shop have a rabbit for a mascot?", they wonder. So, I go into the whole thing about how "there was this movie with the same guy from "It's a Wonderful Life", that was also a play, but I don't know which came first... but the guy in the movie had a best friend who was an invisible 10 foot rabbit." By this time, they have lost all interest and I just get a bored "oh" in response until several minutes later when Trey, confused look on his face, asks, "Mom? Did the rabbit also have 10 legs?"

7 comments:

Manama mama said...

Kids are funny! That bunny's a little creepy though....

Kat Rose said...

No freaking way...it's Harvey! Man- I grew up wishing I could sit in his hand. I don't know why, I just always wanted to sit in his hand. I was kinda a weird kid.

Skunkfeathers said...

LMAO!

DeeMarie said...

I think if I were little, and I lived near Harvey's Marine, I would have nightmares. I agree with Manama Mama... that guy is creepy!

steenky bee said...

I am terrified of that rabbit. Ever since The Holy Grail movie, I've been worried they might attack me with their huge teeth. You tell the best stories. I so want to come and hang out with you!

The Stiletto Mom said...

Margie, I knew I loved you and now I know why...well, I mean other than I adore your blog posts and when you stir it up on my blog. :) I am such a Jimmy Stewart fan...in fact, all of our animals are named after It's a Wonderful Life...which I can recite every single word to.
Mwah!

Skunkfeathers said...

Note to Stiletto Mom: interestingly, that was Jimmy Stewart's first movie after returning from his stint with the US Eighth Air Force in Europe at the end of WW II. He flew 20 combat missions and received the Distinguished Flying Cross for one of them (keeping his squadron tight with another that went off course, to help defend them). The Jimmy Stewart you saw in It's A Wonderful Life was the Jimmy Stewart the bomber boys saw on base, too. Genuine.